September 9, 2015
yields 4-6 servings total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
2 c uncooked elbow macaroni
4 T butter (1/2 stick)
2 1/2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese (use freshly grated cheese, not pre-packaged shredded kind)
1/2 c sour cream
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 tsp salt
1 c whole milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
- boil the macaroni in water for six minutes. drain.
- in a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. stir until the cheese melts.
- whisk the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper in a separate bowl.
- spray the inside of the slow cooker lightly with some pam.
- in slow cooker, add the cheese mixture, then the egg mixture.
- add the drained macaroni and stir.
- cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
September 9, 2015
yields: 8 servings total time: about an hour
2 lbs lean ground beef
8 c beef broth (i used 5 bouillon cubes and 8 cups of water to cut down the amount of salt)
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 c cooked rice
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
parsley and basil
1 T worcestershire sauce
- in a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink.
- pour grease from meat away and then dump meat into a large stock pot.
- place stock pot on stovetop and add remaining ingredients.
- turn heat up to medium high and bring soup to a boil.
- reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and simmer for 35-45 minutes.
August 27, 2015
yields 4-6 servings
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 (28 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano (and basil and parsley)
12 oz. cottage cheese
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
12 oz. lasagna noodles, uncooked
16 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a pan.
- add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, and oregano & basil & parsley.
- cook long enough to get it warm.
- spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
- add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
- repeat with sauce, noodles, and cheeses until all are used up.
- cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
August 27, 2015
lately, i’ve been trying out some slow cooker recipes. the few that i’ve tried out have been pretty successful… just have to tweak them a little here and there. i’ve never really cooked much with larger pieces of meat: i’ve cooked with ground beef, smaller pieces of beef/pork when stir-frying, fish (mostly tilapia), but never really felt comfortable with chicken/steak type dishes. i’ve always stuck mainly with pasta and rice dishes.
i think cooking chicken in a crock pot has given me a little more courage to try something i haven’t done much of.
January 30, 2015
makes 8 servings prep time: 20 minutes cook time: about an hour total: 1 hr. 20 minutes
2 lbs. ground beef (or half ground beef and half ground pork)
1 cup kimchi, finely chopped
6 T milk
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T ginger, grated
1/2 yellow onion, chopped or if preferred, grated
1 1/2 c panko crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 T cornstarch
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce (or 1 tsp salt)
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 T gochujang (or sriracha or chili-garlic paste)
2 T ketchup
2 T maple syrup or brown sugar
1 T yellow mustard
1 T sesame oil
- preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- place all of the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with your hands. using your hands is particularly good for working out any clumps of cornstarch.
- make sure everything is thoroughly combined. on a piece of foil-lined baking sheet, spray some pam and form the mixture into a loaf shape.
- place all of the glaze ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- brush half of the glaze over the meatloaf, covering all exposed areas.
- bake the meatloaf for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
- remove the meatloaf from the over and brush the remaining glaze over the entire loaf.
- return the meatloaf to the oven and bake another 10-20 minutes until the internal temperature reads a minimum of 160 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- take the meatloaf out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- make extra glaze to serve alongside the meatloaf if you are a fan of the sauce.