October 21, 2016
prep time: 30 minutes bake time: 35 minutes total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
1 c cornmeal
3 c flour
1 1/3 c sugar
2 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 c oil
6 T melted butter (could just be softened)
2 T honey
4 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 c milk
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- in a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- add the oil, butter, honey, eggs, and milk.
- pour into a greased 9×13 pan (if using 8×8 square pan, halve recipe).
- bake for 35 minutes and check to see if baked through using a toothpick.
source – recipe from gail chang (and she received the recipe from her friend)
October 21, 2016
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 20 minutes total time: 35 minutes
1 package (19 oz.) johnsonville italian sausage (any time of sausage will do – i used kielbasa), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 package penne pasta, cooked and drained
1 T olive oil
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce
- cook sausage according to package instructions (probably about 5 minutes); drain and set aside.
- in a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute peppers, onion and garlic until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- add sliced sausage and marinara sauce; saute until warmed through.
- add pasta to marinara/sausage/veggie mixture and serve.
source – a johnsonville sausage ad in parents magazine 2016
July 9, 2016
8 servings time: 1-2 hours
for the crust:
- 1.25 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c finely chopped pecans
- 8 T chilled butter
- 2-3 T ice water
for the filling:
- 4 peaches (pitted and sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1/2 c blueberries
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 T lemon juice
- lemon zest
for the crumb topping:
- 2/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 c coarsely chopped pecans
- 6 T chilled butter
- whipped cream (optional)
- for the crust: preheat oven to 375 degrees. mix together flour, salt and pecans in a bowl. cut in butter until it looks like large pebbles. mix in water and form into a ball. chill for 1/2 hours. roll out dough to approximately 1/4-inch and line 9″ pie pan. put in refrigerator while making filling and topping.
- for the filling: combine peaches, blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- for the crumb topping: mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans. cut in butter until the mixture looks like large pebbles.
- remove crust from refrigerator and add peach filling. sprinkle crumb topping on top of peaches. bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. remove from oven and cool on a rack. serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
June 13, 2016
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 1 hour total: 1 hour, 15 minutes
1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef (6 or 7 hamburger patties)
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 c water
8 oz. tomato sauce
ketchup bbq sauce?
1/4 c worcestershire sauce
1 T brown sugar
1 T mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 c water
cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- place ground beef (drain fat before adding onion) and onion in a large skillet. turn heat to medium and cook and stir the mixture constantly until the beef is browned and forms small crumbles, about 10 minutes.
- stir in garlic, green bell pepper, and carrots, cook and stir until softened, 2-3 minutes. add 1/2 cup water and stir, scraping the pan to dissolve any brown flavor bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- mix in
ketchupbbq sauce, tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. add 1/2 cup water (if too dry) and return mixture to a simmer. reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick, about 40 minutes.
- season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
June 2, 2016
prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 40-50 minutes total: 50-60 minutes servings: 4
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium onion, sliced
4 sprigs of thyme
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 T olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
- preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- toss cauliflower florets on a large rimmed baking sheet with onion, thyme, garlic, and oil.
- season with salt and pepper.
- roast, tossing occasionally, until almost tender, 35-40 minutes.
- sprinkle with parmesan, toss to combine, and roast until cauliflower is tender, 5-10 minutes longer.