ratatouille my way
September 12, 2013
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 45 minutes makes 4 servings
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 medium japanese eggplants, chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped
1/2 T parsley
1/2 T basil
1/2 T thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
- set a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- once hot, add the onions and garlic to the pan.
- cook until the onions are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- add the bell pepper and cover pan with lid, stirring occasionally. cook for about 5 minutes.
- add tomatoes, parsley, basil, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. cover the pot with the lid and simmer until the tomatoes are soft and have released a lot of liquid.
- add zucchini and eggplant. cover with a lid and allow vegetables to cook until tender (about 30-40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- when the vegetables are soft, turn the heat off, keep the lid on, and continue letting stew simmer for another 15 minutes.
- serve warm.
i never knew what ingredients were in ratatouille, even after watching the disney movie. and i didn’t know that it was this easy to make. chop all your vegetables beforehand and just throw them in one at a time and let them slowly cook together.
this time around, i didn’t have eggplant and i added rotini pasta to it and it tasted pretty good. all the vegetables lose their water content, making a sort of thin broth which went really well with the pasta. i always love how herbs meld together to make a dish smell and taste so wonderful. definitely a recipe worth keeping !