June 9, 2014
prep time: 20 minutes bake time: 65 minutes total: 85 minutes
3-4 ears of corn, shucked (or 1 15 oz. can of corn, save some of the liquid)
1 1/4 c buttermilk (milk with vinegar/lemon juice can be substituted)
1/2 c maple syrup
2 c cornmeal
1 c all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 c cold unsalted butter, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
for berry compote
1 pint berries of your choice (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.)
4 T honey (or maple syrup can be substituted)
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 c water (can add more if needed)
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- in a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and maple syrup.
- in a food processor or blender, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt, pulsing a few times to mix.
- add the butter and corn kernels and pulse until corn and butter are coarsely chopped.
- stir this dry mixture into the wet mixture and transfer to a lightly oiled baking dish.
- bake for 45 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. rest 20 minutes before cutting.
for berry compote: combine all of the ingredients in a small sauce pot, and bring to a boil. simmer for 10 minutes, just until berries begin to break down slightly.
May 6, 2014
cook time: 10 minutes makes 1.75 cups (14 oz.)
1/2 c minced onion
1/2 c peanut oil
1/3 c rice vinegar
2 T water
2 T minced fresh ginger
2 T minced celery
2 T ketchup
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- combine all ingredients in a blender.
- blend on high speed for about 30 seconds or until all of the ginger is pureed.
- chill and serve over salad.
March 18, 2014
prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 30 minutes total: 50 minutes makes 6 servings
3.5-4 lbs of chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp paprika
2 T tomato paste (or 1 can crushed or stewed tomatoes)
2 1/2 c jasmine rice
1/2 white wine
2 c chicken stock
1-2 tsp saffron
1 dried bay leaf
- heat a pan over medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of olive oil. season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper on all sides. cook until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes. remove from pan to a plate.
- combine the onion, pepper, and garlic in pan with more oil as needed. season with salt. cook for 3-4 minutes until soft and slightly caramelized. season with paprika.
- add tomato paste (or crushed/stewed tomatoes) and allow to cook until darkened. once tomato paste is dark plum colored, add white rice and toast for 2 minutes.
- deglaze pan with white wine, then pour in chicken stock. stir in the saffron and bay leaf. bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until rice is cooked, but al dente. halfway through cooking the rice, add chicken to the pan and let cook for at least 8-10 minutes.
- serve arroz con pollo warm with parsley and cilantro.
March 18, 2014
makes 8 spring rolls prep time: 30 mins assembly time: 20 mins
2 ounces rice vermicelli
8 rice wrappers
8 large cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half lengthwise
1 1/3 T chopped thai basil
3 T chopped fresh mint leaves
3 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 leaves lettuce (or romaine), chopped
4 tsp fish sauce
1 T water
1 T fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp garlic chili sauce (or sriracha)
3 T hoisin sauce
1 tsp finely chopped peanuts
- bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. boil rice vermicelli 3-5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
- fill a large bowl with warm water. dip one wrapper into the water for 3 seconds to soften. lay wrapper flat. in a row across the center, place noodles, 2 shrimp halves, basil, mint, cilantro, and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. repeat with remaining ingredients.
- in a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar, and chili sauce.
- in another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
- serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.